Tuesday, April 19, 2016

chasing that 'balancing act'


this post has been months in the making.  even before having carson i dedicated ridiculous amounts of time to thinking about how i planned to balance life post baby.   as someone who is fiercely ambitious i often set high expectations for myself and as a working mom i was afraid I’d over commit.  i feared that we’d let the baby be the center of our universe instead a part of it.  i thought that i’d lose myself and drive a wedge between cody and i by expecting him to pick up the pieces.  and at six months in here’s what i’ve discovered – the perfect balance doesn’t exist but in finding what works for you and your family you can get closer to juggling it all. 

since the time that cody and i decided to have kids i knew that returning to work was in the cards for me.  i have always found work satisfying.  finding a balance between what is realistic and what isn’t has been a challenge I never expected.  what's balance anyway?!

i’ve come to the realization that i’m not great at this whole balancing act thing but i'm sure doing a good job of chasing it!  settling into a routine over the past three months has brought with it clarity in terms of what it takes for me to feel wholly satisfied and fooled into thinking balance is possible.  don’t judge – this is what’s working.

generously love me – setting aside a few hours a week for ME helps me stay sane.  i’m lucky that i have a husband who supports this and isn’t afraid to assume responsibility of the babe – something i’m appreciating more and more these days.  call me selfish but my days start at 5 AM and end around 9 PM and they are jam packed!  i’m sure any working mom can relate.  being able to run to target, grab coffee with my girlfriends, go for a long run or get a manicure allows me time to recharge which… helps me be a better wife, friend, and mommy.

accept help – back to that husband of mine.  these days i’m welcoming his help and the offers of others.  i’ve realized, somewhat painfully, that i can’t do this on my own.  to all the single moms out there – YOU ROCK!  this has been a humbling experience but a growing one as well. 

commit to priorities – this means saying 'no' which is always easier said than done and being fully vested in commitments.  i have a tendency to overextend myself.  these days i’m much more selective in what i do, with whom and when.  this has been my biggest challenge to date. 

maintain perspective – especially when life gets crazy. for me becoming a mom has been uniquely liberating.  organization no longer rules my life and striving for perfection has become a thing of the past.  having a baby has forced me to put things in check on the daily.  i still get frustrated; it's just different.

start everyday with coffee – lots and lots of coffee!

xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment